It seems that a workaround to the artificially enforced hashrate limiter for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 GPUs mining Ethereum has been discovered and it is pretty simple apparently. You just need to use the developer driver version 470.05 where there is apparently no hashrate limiting being applied, unlike with the regular GeForce video driver that you would normally download for these video cards. This has been reported by some users and we can confirm that it is indeed working and you can get the full mining hashrate for Ethereum with this driver, however there is still a catch… read on below with the latest updates on what and how it works.
We are getting 47 MH/s Ethash mining hashrate using the Nvidia developer driver version 470.05 with PhoenixMiner mining Ethereum, with the following settings in MSI Afterburner: 70% TDP, -500 MHz GPU, +1000 MHz video memory. You can check what performance does a Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3060 OC Edition manage to provide you with with the limited hashrate regular drivers, though the limit is not for all crypto algorithms, but for memory-intensive ones such as Ethash and VertHash for instance.
The drawback is that the Nvidia developer driver version 470.05 does require you to register on the Nvidia website as developer and is currently still available for Windows only, but hey, it works and you get the full mining hashrate mining Ethereum and other algorithms such as Verthash used by Vertcoin that apparently also suffered from the hashrate limitation introduced by Nvidia for the RTX 3060. For VTC mining with the above settings the hashrate we are getting is around 810 KH/s instead of the reduced in half sub-400 with the regular driver.
Update: It seems that this “workaround” is still somewhat limited to just when using a single RTX 3060 GPU connected to a monitor, with more GPUs in a mining rig it does not seem to work for full hashrate on all of the video cards…
Further researching into the matter with a single RTX 3060 GPU working with unrestricted hashrate, while multiple ones not working has revealed that there seem to be some conditions met. Having a single RTX 3060 GPU connected on a ь8/x16 PCI-E slot (no extenders) and a monitor connected to it. This makes us believe that Nvidia did not in fact forget to implement the protection in the latest developer driver 370.05, but has instead further improved their protection mechanism instead. What they could’ve done is to detect that you are using a single video card in a gaming setup and then no limitations, even for mining will be enforced, while if more GPUs on a slower PCI-E interface are present then this is a mining rig and the hashrate will be reduced.
- Publihsed in: Mining Hardware|Tests and Reviews
- Related tags: Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3060 OC Edition, Dedicated GPUs for Professional Crypto Mining, GeForce RTX 3060, GeForce RTX 3060 ETH, GeForce RTX 3060 ETH hashrate, GeForce RTX 3060 ETH mining, GeForce RTX 3060 ETH performance, GeForce RTX 3060 Ethash, GeForce RTX 3060 Ethash hashrate, GeForce RTX 3060 Ethereum, GeForce RTX 3060 Ethereum hashrate, GeForce RTX 3060 half hashrate, GeForce RTX 3060 limited hashrate, GeForce RTX 3060 reduced hashrate, Nvidia, Nvidia CMP, Nvidia CMP HX, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060, Nvidia mining GPU, Nvidia RTX 3060, RTX 3060, RTX 3060 BeamHashIII, RTX 3060 KAWPOW, RTX 3060 ProgPoW, RTX 3060 Verthash, RTX 3060 Zelhash
Check Some More Similar Crypto Related Publications:
- Thermal Images of the Gridseed 5-chip BTC/LTC Dual Mode ASIC
- What About the Sapphire RX 570 16GB GPUs With ePIC Boost Miner for GRIN
- MicroBT WhatsMiner M10 Bitcoin ASIC Offering 33 THS at 2145 Watts
- MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard for 7x GPUs
- HyperBit is the Official Worldwide Distributor for the BW-L21 Scrypt ASIC
- New Halong Mining DragonMint T2 Miner 17 THS ASIC
- The First Lyra2REv2 ASIC Miner is Available – DAYUN Zig Z1
- The Upcoming Ethereum ASIC Miners To Offer 2000+ MHS
- New 31 THS Canaan Avalon A10 Bitcoin ASIC Miner is Coming
- How Much Power Does the Bitmain AntMiner S1 ASIC Use
- The 1.7 THS Spondoolies Tech SP20 Jackson Bitcoin Miner With Lower Price
- Trying Out the Autotuning Function of Braiins OS+ on AntMiner S9
- Another Upcoming SiaCoin ASIC, the DragonMint B52 Blake2b Miner
- BaikalMiner Baikal Giant X10 ASIC Miner Coming Soon
- SFARDS New 28nm BTC and LTC Dual-Algorithm ASIC Specifications Unveiled
- Voltmodding the New Gridseed G-Blade Scrypt ASIC Miner
- Rockminer Bitcoin ASIC Miners Now Available from MinerEU
- Mining with a 8X GPU GeForce GTX TITAN X System
- Bitmain Antminer T19 Bitcoin ASIC Now Up for Pre-Order
- Crypto Mining With Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 Limited Edition
- New Innosilicon A6+ LTC Master 2.2 GHS Scrypt ASIC Miner
- Zoomhash Selling Votlage Modified 6.2MHS and 7.5MHS Zoom-Blade Scrypt ASICs
- 15 THS Canaan AvalonMiner 851 is Now on Sale
- Blackminer F1 Mini is an Upcoming Single Chip FPGA Miner
- Sapphire Also to Release AMD-based Crypto Mining GPUs